PESHAWAR: Amid strict security arrangments Muharram al-Haram processions ended peacefully in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Tuesday.

The entire Peshawar city was sealed while heavy contingents of police were deployed in different parts of the city to provide security to processions that were taken out from Imambargah Hussainia Hall on main Saddar Road, another procession appeared from Imambargah Sain Zareen on Technical College Road Gul Bahar and passed through G.T. Road.

Several other Muharram processions were also taken out from Imambargah Bibi Sahiba Mohalla Kalghan, Imambargah Alamdar at Kocha Risaldar that returned to the same places after passing through traditional routes.

IGP press conference

Inspector General Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Dr Muhammad Naeem said that due to strict security measures Muharram al-Haram passed away peacefully in the province despite the threats and challenges.

He was addressing a press conference in Peshawar on Tuesday. The IGP said Muharram’s security measures were more effective than those of previous years. He added that every policeman has played his role to arrange security for Muharram while people have always cooperated at every situation.

The IGP said that Chief Minister Mahmood Khan visited the control room despite all the engagements. The former FATA was also the responsibility of the police department and the KP policemen have contributed efficiently to maintain law and order situation during Muharram. He also appreciated the role of the media for cooperation with the KP police. CCPO Karim Khan and SSP Operations accompanied the IGP during the press conference.

The IGP appreciated the efforts of Rescue 1122, National Volunteer; WAPDA, Sui Gas and another department for their contribution to the security. The official appreciated the efforts of the army and the district administration in ensuring foolproof security measures for Muharram.

Talking about the war on terror, the IGP said ‘there is a long battle against terrorism but we will not back down.’